Sharing the good news about UUism
* Who can join?
Anyone interested in discussing or reading about people's opinions on this topic.
* What is the topic?
PR-L "Outreach/PR" is a list for sharing the good news about Unitarian Universalism. Dare we say "evangelism"? Well, many UU's feel uncomfortable with that word or even talking about their faith, but it's about time they learned.
Many newcomers to UU congregations tell us that they wish they had heard about us sooner. People tell jokes about UUism, such as 'You know what you get when you cross a Jehovah's Witness with a Unitarian? Someone who knocks on doors for no apparent reason.' We DO have a message; we just don't go door-to-door with it. How can we communicate that? This is a forum for sharing our ideas on how to do that.
Here is a list of possible subjects.:
* What individuals can say to their aquaintances, friends, and relatives
* What is our message and what are some bad and good ways of expressing
* The nature of our PR, Outreach, Publicity, Communication (or whatever
you call yours) Committee operations
* How we "advertise"
* Signs and outer aesthetics which can attract or deter visitors
* How we use our web sites to spread our message (a conversation about
the technical aspects of web sites is on the Websters email list)
* Letters to the Editor
* How we help ensure that our message is spread through our social
justice/action work (sharing about the actual work is on several other
* How our minister(s) get the word out to the public
* How our association can help congregations work together to spread the
* TV, radio, and the use of other media
* What works in larger congregations vs. smaller congregations
* Do you have to be a member to spread the news? How can our "friends"
* How do you educate the entire congregation about spreading the news?
* How do you communicate to the Board and Committees about your work and
how they can help?
There are other UUA email lists that discuss this topic (shouldn't they all?), but we will focus entirely on this issue. Though what happens after a visitor attends and how we get them to become members and retain them is related, these will not be topics we'll discuss unless within the context of the above issues directly.
News of recent articles posted on the internet are also sent to this list on a bi-weekly basis.
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the PR-L
(The current archive is only available to the list
Subscribe to PR-L by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. This is a hidden list, which means that the
list of members is available only to the list administrator.